Why??

So, it seems like the big question is, "Why?"

Why a virtual book tour? Why not a live book tour? And what the heck IS a virtual book tour?

Well, I have to give a nod to an online writer friend. Andrea Buchanan is the author of Mother Shock: Loving Every (Other) Minute of It and It's a Boy: Women Writers on Raising Sons. Her It's a Girl: Women Writers on Raising Daughters (I love the cover on this one!) will be available in the spring. She recently did a virtual book tour of her own to spread the word about the It's a Boy book, and I was intrigued.

Traditional book signings and book store appearances may be lucrative for big name writers, but for books from small presses, new authors, or niche markets (and Team Challenges is all of the above!) they're tough. Really, how many people that walk into a bookstore are going to be looking for Team Challenges? It's easy for me to say, "They all ought to be interested! We need more creative problem solvers in the world." But, it's not the reality, and I know that. The people who will use Team Challenges probably aren't going to be scouring a brick and mortar bookstore for exactly the right book. Rather (and I know this from personal experience!) they likely spend the hour before team time, scrambling to find an activity, in a slight panic. These are busy people!

So, with Andi's inspiration, I did some research and figured that a creative plan for spreading the word about Team Challenges seemed particularly well-suited to this book. With a virtual tour, I can reach these people – the teachers, the team managers, the leadership coaches – where they spend their downtime: on the Internet. Here, they will discover some fun activities and have a chance to read first-hand accounts of how others are using the activities from Team Challenges. Perhaps they'll even find an idea for their team meeting more than a day in advance!

I hope you enjoy reading about Team Challenges during the virtual book tour this month, and I encourage you to contact me with any questions, or jump on board with the tour – with the Internet, space is never a problem!

Coming tomorrow: 4-H Clover Corner News

1 comment:

Running2Ks said...

I'm looking forward to this!